This is an SCD legal ketchup recipe.
Many people following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet are looking to recreate their favourite condiment or create new flavour profiles with SCD-compliant ingredients.
- 1 SCD Legal Ketchup Recipe
- 2 Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- 3 What Does SCD Legal Ketchup Taste Like?
- 4 How To Make Homemade Ketchup – Sugar Free, Keto & Paleo – Bobby’s Kitchen Basics
- 5 How Should I Serve SCD Legal Ketchup?
- 6 How To Store SCD Legal Ketchup?
- 7 Conclusion
SCD Legal Ketchup Recipe
The preparation for this recipe takes about 3 minutes, plus time for simmering.
The cook time for this recipe is 5 minutes at the most, after adding all of the ingredients in and mixing until it’s thickened.
This will yield 2 cups of finished ketchup, so you can use it in dips, sauces and other recipes that call for ketchup too! I usually make extra batches because it keeps well in the fridge.
- 1 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
- 4 TBS of Honey
- 4 TBS of Tomato Paste (You can use fresh whole tomatoes or canned tomato paste)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Mix the vinegar, olive oil, honey and tomato paste together in a small saucepan.
- Add the salt and mix thoroughly.
- Heat the saucepan on low to medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, stirring very frequently, so it does not burn. The ketchup will get very thick as it simmers. You can keep cooking if you want to reduce the thickness and get a thicker consistency.
- As soon as the ketchup is ready, it will start to thicken quickly.
- You can remove from heat at this point if you prefer a thinner ketchup, or you can continue to cook down more depending on how strong your tomatoes and vinegar are!
- Stir in the mustard seeds until they pop. If you don’t have mustard seeds, add 1/2 TBS of prepared yellow mustard and mix thoroughly. You may need to add more vinegar to thin out the mixture when it has cooked down so it won’t be too thick for your desired flavour profile.
- Allow the ketchup to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Tips And Notes:
- If you intend to make this for more than just one person, I recommend doubling the recipe. This will yield plenty for a little over two people, so double it!
- You can substitute apple cider vinegar and olive oil with other oils or vinegar you prefer. I have made this with light olive oil and white vinegar, but I haven’t tried it with other oils yet.
- Coconut oil would also work well if you wanted to try that! Be sure to keep all of your ingredients measured in the recipe. Don’t substitute them, as it will change the flavour.
- If you want to make this vegan, you can substitute the honey for agave or use stevia extract. If you really hate honey (I don’t know how that’s even possible) then you can try using maple syrup or some other natural sweetener of your choice.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Calories: 46
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 0.5g
What Does SCD Legal Ketchup Taste Like?
The ketchup is definitely sweet and tangy and has a great flavour. It’s spicy, too, which I love! You will be able to taste the mustard seeds in the finished product, which gives it a nice little kick!
How To Make Homemade Ketchup – Sugar Free, Keto & Paleo – Bobby’s Kitchen Basics
How Should I Serve SCD Legal Ketchup?
Add this to your favourite recipes in place of traditional ketchup! I use it as a dip for veggie sticks, as a condiment on my burgers, scrambled eggs, and even meatloaf! There are many options that you can use this with.
You can also use this as a marinade for meat or fish in your favourite recipes as well.
How To Store SCD Legal Ketchup?
You can store this in the fridge for up to two weeks. If you want to freeze this, it will last for 6-8 months if you leave room at the top of the container.
This is a great way to get your ketchup fix if you are following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet! Feel free to use this in other recipes as well. I am sure it will taste great with meat dishes or a nice hot dog!
You can also try making your own mayonnaise recipe as well. You should be able to find some compliant powdered egg replacers online or at some stores too.