Pokey Stix Recipe is an all-time great snack that is perfect for any occasion. When you serve a batch of these, you don’t have to worry about what people should or shouldn’t eat. They’re healthy but still tasty and delicious enough for any occasion.
Pokey Stix is great for lunch boxes, and kids will love them! These snacks can also be made gluten-free; if you want to make healthier versions of Pokey Stix, then all the better! They may even increase your appetite, which means they make a great snack in that sense as well.
These are also perfect for when you want something that is filling without being too heavy on your stomach (unless it’s someone else’s slice).
- 1 Pokey Stix Recipe
- 2 Nutrition Facts Per Serving
- 3 How Should I Serve Pokey Stix?
- 4 Can I Make Gluten-Free Pokey Stix?
- 5 Are Pokey Stix Good For You?
- 6 Are Pokey Stix Kids Friendly?
- 7 Are They Good For Lunch Box?
- 8 Will Pokey Stix Increase Your Appetite?
- 9 Will Pokey Stix Make You Fat?
- 10 Will Pokey Stix Increase Your Cholesterol?
- 11 Will Pokey Stix Make You Feel Full?
- 12 Can Pokey Stix Be Frozen?
- 13 How To Make Pokey Stix More Healthy?
- 14 The Bottom Line
Pokey Stix Recipe
Prepare Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 and ⅓ cups bread or all-purpose flour
- 1 packet (2 and ¼ teaspoons) of active yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder and/or basil leaves optional
- 2 Tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 cup Hot water (115 degrees)
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1/4 Tablespoons salt
- 1/4 Tablespoons black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Butter or Shortening for greasing the pan
- Mix all the Pizza Dough ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir till the mixture forms a soft dough (3 to 5 minutes).
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and keep it in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 18×12-inch pan with butter/shortening on both sides and set aside.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll into an 8×18-inch rectangle. Cut into 1-inch wide strips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Lay the pokey sticks on the baking pan and brush with melted butter.
- Mix together garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, then sprinkle the mixture over the strips of dough.
- Arrange 8 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of all the sticks, then sprinkle parmesan cheese followed by dried onion bits (optional).
- Bake for about 7 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let it cool completely before serving.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
|Total Fat||22 g|
How Should I Serve Pokey Stix?
They can be eaten on their own, as a side with any sandwich, soup, or salad. You can even use them as a pizza topping.
Can I Make Gluten-Free Pokey Stix?
Yes, this recipe makes fabulous gluten-free Pokey Stix! You can substitute for an equal amount of whole wheat flour or use brown rice flour instead of white rice flour.
Are Pokey Stix Good For You?
Pokey Stix is the perfect healthy snack for anyone because they’re made only of wholesome ingredients and include no preservatives, artificial sugars, trans fat, saturated fat, or cholesterol.
They are also very low in sodium and have whole grains as one of their main ingredients, making them a great healthy snack to help you stay full and not overeat.
Are Pokey Stix Kids Friendly?
Yes, kids will love this yummy treat! They can also be great in school lunches as they don’t spoil quickly and can be packed in any container you like.
Are They Good For Lunch Box?
Yes! Pokey Stix is great for lunch boxes because they’re a healthy snack that doesn’t require refrigeration. They are also perfectly sized to fit in most lunch bags.
Will Pokey Stix Increase Your Appetite?
Not if you don’t want them to, but they may make you feel more hungry, especially if you’re feeling snackish, because they are packed with nutrients and leave you feeling satisfied. Most people who eat them say the feeling of being full lasts longer than with other foods.
Will Pokey Stix Make You Fat?
No. There is no fat, saturated fat, trans fat, or cholesterol in this recipe at all. They’re also low in sodium and whole-wheat dough. The only potential problem is that they are high in calories because of the ingredients used to make them.
Will Pokey Stix Increase Your Cholesterol?
Nope! Because of the recipe’s whole grain and low sodium content and that there’s no fat at all, you won’t increase your cholesterol even a little bit. All you’re doing is eating a great-tasting healthy snack that keeps you full longer!
Will Pokey Stix Make You Feel Full?
Yes. This snack is packed with fiber which will help keep you feeling full. It makes a good alternative to chips or other snacks that might leave you feeling hungry sooner than usual.
Can Pokey Stix Be Frozen?
Yes, and you can even freeze the dough before you roll it out as long as you plan on freezing the unbaked dough for less than 3 months. Pokey Stix doesn’t lose their taste when frozen; they just get a little harder, so make sure to let them stand at room temperature for a little while before baking.
How To Make Pokey Stix More Healthy?
You can easily make this recipe healthier by cutting down the amount of cheese and adding your own celery or onion bits for flavoring instead of dried onion or adding some ground meat like chicken to the topping mixture.
The Bottom Line
Pokey Stix is a healthy snack or meal idea suitable for all ages, even kids, and you can make gluten-free variations if you want. They are perfect for lunch boxes and picnics, and if you’re looking for a treat to take to parties, Pokey Stix will be a great hit!