The Pappadeaux Dirty Rice recipe is one of the most popular dishes at the New Orleans, LA restaurant. It’s spicy, flavorful, and easy to make. You need something addictive to ward off the hunger on those long shift breaks!
We’re going to share this recipe with you today so you can go home and shake up some dirty rice for your family when they get back from work.
- 1 Pappadeaux Dirty Rice Recipe
- 2 Nutrition Facts Per Serving
- 3 What Should You Serve With Dirty Rice?
- 4 What Is The Difference Between Cajun Rice And Dirty Rice?
- 5 Best 5 Heath Benefits Of Pappadeaux Dirty Rice
- 6 Can You Freeze Dirty Rice?
Pappadeaux Dirty Rice Recipe
Prepare Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. chicken livers, finely minced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- Oregano 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup minced green bell pepper
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
1. Rinse rice in cold water.
2. Using a medium-size saucepan, place the rice and chicken broth.
3. Let the rice cook for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until it is tender and has absorbed all the broth.
4. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic, onion, celery, and bay leaf, then sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp; do not brown vegetables.
5. Stir in the chicken livers and cook for 10 minutes, constantly stirring to keep livers from sticking to the bottom of the pan; discard bay leaf.
6. Combine rice, liver mixture, and sauce from the skillet in a very large bowl.
7. Stir in the green peppers and season with the dry mustard, pepper, salt, and oregano. Add black pepper if desired.
8. Serve warm or chilled (with or without gravy).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated fat||6 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||13 g|
What Should You Serve With Dirty Rice?
The signature side of dirty rice is potato salad. Oh, be sure to include some cornbread for the ultimate southern meal! Most people want something green with their meal and go with a large garden salad or some steamed vegetables.
What Is The Difference Between Cajun Rice And Dirty Rice?
Cajun rice is flavored with tomatoes, pepper, and seasonings like other Cajun dishes. The main difference between the two is that “dirty” rice is cooked with chicken livers.
Best 5 Heath Benefits Of Pappadeaux Dirty Rice
1. Great Source Of Protein
The best thing about chicken livers is that they are packed with protein. The next time you’re cooking for your family, cook up some chicken livers and give them a try.
2. Excellent Source For Vitamins
Chicken livers are rich in vitamins A, B12, and foliate. Vitamin A is essential to support healthy vision, while vitamin B helps to maintain proper skin and eye functions.
Vitamin B12 helps boost red blood cell production, while foliate boosts production in our body’s DNA as well as supports healthy fetal growth and development.
3. Good Source For Selenium
Selenium is a powerful antioxidant and plays a key role in supporting your immune system. It’s also used to fight inflammation and ward off cancer.
4. Rich In Iron
Our body needs iron to produce hemoglobin which transports oxygen throughout our body. Hemoglobin is also a component in red blood cells. Anemia is caused by a lack of iron in our body.
5. Helps Reduce Nutritional Deficiencies
We’ve all been hearing the positive effects of Omega-3 the last few years, and chicken livers are high in this important fatty acid which helps reduce inflammation and boost your memory.
Can You Freeze Dirty Rice?
Yes, you can, but it loses flavor when frozen! It is best to use up the entire package as quickly as possible and then freeze whatever leftover is leftovers. To freeze, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or place in airtight freezer bags (preferably with small amounts of air removed). Do not freeze rice overnight, as it will crumble.
Pappadeaux Dirty Rice is one of the easiest and most impressive dishes for anyone to make at home. Everyone loves it, and it’s sure to bring you back again and again. I hope that you enjoy this meal and use the recipe as your own.