Welcome to our latest blog post featuring the delicious and traditional Ottappam recipe!
For those unfamiliar, an Ottappam is a type of Indian pancake typically made with rice flour and served with various toppings.
It is a popular breakfast food in the southern states of India but has also gained popularity in other parts of the country and the world.
In this post, we will share with you the authentic recipe for making Ottappam at home and some ideas for tasty toppings and variations. So let’s get started on this delicious and satisfying breakfast treat!
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice flour, water, coconut milk, salt, sugar, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black pepper, and baking powder. Mix until smooth and well combined.
- Stir in the onions, tomatoes, green chilies, cilantro, and grated coconut.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the Ottappam batter into the pan and spread it out into a thin, circular shape.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the edges start to turn golden brown and the surface of the Ottappam starts to bubble.
- Flip the Ottappam over and cook for 1-2 minutes, until it is fully cooked through and golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more vegetable oil as needed.
- Serve the Ottappam hot with your choice of toppings. Some delicious options include coconut chutney, tomato chutney, or spicy sambar. Enjoy!