If you’re craving a mouthwatering dessert that embodies the essence of comfort and warmth, look no further than the Morrison Sweet Potato Pie recipe.
This delectable treat is the perfect combination of velvety sweet potato filling, warm spices, and a flaky, buttery crust.
In this article, we’ll take you on a culinary journey, sharing a step-by-step guide to creating your very own Morrison Sweet Potato Pie recipe.
Morrison Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 50-60 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Yield: One 9-inch pie
- Calories (Per Serving): Estimated to be around 280-320 calories per serving (assuming 8 servings per pie).
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before you start baking, ensure you have the following ingredients ready:
For The Pie Crust
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of unsalted butter (cold)
- 4-6 tablespoons of ice water
For The Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
Preparing The Pie Crust
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Cut the cold unsalted butter into small cubes and add it to the flour mixture.
- Use a pastry cutter or two forks to blend the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Making The Sweet Potato Filling
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes, then cut them into chunks.
- Boil the sweet potato chunks until they are fork-tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and mash them until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes to the sugar and spice mixture, blending until well combined.
Assembling And Baking
- Roll out the chilled pie crust on a floured surface to fit your pie dish.
- Carefully transfer the crust to the pie dish, trimming any excess dough.
- Pour the sweet potato filling into the pie crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool before serving.
Serving Your Morrison Sweet Potato Pie
This delightful dessert can be enjoyed on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s perfect for family gatherings, holiday feasts, or any time you want to savor the comforting flavors of homemade goodness.
In this article, we’ve uncovered the secrets to creating a mouthwatering Morrison Sweet Potato Pie recipe. From its rich history to the step-by-step instructions, you now have all the tools you need to bake this delectable dessert in the comfort of your own kitchen.
So, don your apron and get ready to delight your taste buds and those of your loved ones with this timeless Southern classic.
Can I Use Canned Sweet Potatoes For This Recipe?
While fresh sweet potatoes are recommended for the best flavor and texture, you can use canned sweet potatoes in a pinch. Just be sure to drain and mash them before adding them to the filling mixture.
Can I Make The Pie Crust Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can prepare the pie crust a day in advance and refrigerate it until you’re ready to use it. This can save you time on the day of baking.
How Long Does Morrison Sweet Potato Pie Stay Fresh?
When stored in the refrigerator, your sweet potato pie should stay fresh for up to 3-4 days. Be sure to cover it with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out.
Can I Freeze Morrison Sweet Potato Pie?
Yes, you can freeze this pie for up to 2-3 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing. Thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.
What Other Spices Can I Add For Extra Flavor?
Feel free to experiment with your favorite spices like cloves or allspice to add a unique twist to the flavor profile of your sweet potato pie. Just be mindful of the quantities to avoid overpowering the dish.