Welcome to our latest recipe blog post! Today, we’ll be sharing with you a unique twist on a classic winter beverage: magic mushroom hot chocolate.
This creamy, indulgent drink combines the earthy flavors of mushrooms with the rich, chocolatey goodness of hot cocoa.
Not only is it a delicious and cozy treat, but it may also have some potential health benefits due to the inclusion of medicinal mushrooms. Keep reading to learn how to make this recipe at home.
Magic Mushroom Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 2 cups milk of your choice (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons honey or sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried medicinal mushrooms (such as reishi, cordyceps, or Chaga)
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it begins to steam.
- Add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, honey, and salt to the saucepan and whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the dried mushrooms and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the mushrooms from the water, reserving the mushroom water.
- Add the mushroom water to the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour the hot chocolate into mugs and serve. Optionally, you can top it with whipped cream, marshmallows, or a sprinkle of cocoa powder. Enjoy!
Note: The medicinal properties of the mushrooms will not be fully extracted in this recipe, but they do add a unique flavor to the hot chocolate. Be sure to start with a small number of mushrooms and adjust to your taste. Consult with a healthcare professional before adding medicinal mushrooms to your diet.