In this blog post, “Kousa Dogwood Fruit Recipes,” I have provided several recipes that use Kousa Dogwood fruit. The fruit is native to North America and has a sweet flavor that is similar to grapes and cherries.
Kousa Dogwood fruits are used in both hot and cold drinks. The fruit can also be used for both savory and sweet dishes. These recipes require only a few ingredients and are very simple to make.
I personally like how the fruit has a crunchy texture that is not much different from watermelons. Hence, it is perfect for both savory and sweet dishes. The taste is amazing, as well as the fruit’s nutritional value.
Kousa Dogwood Fruit Recipes: Amazing 3 Recipes
1. Kousa Dogwood Pudding Cake
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 1 to 2 kabob servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Kousa dogwood fruit, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the granulated sugar and beat for another 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla extract, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat on low speed until just combined after each addition.
- Fold in the chopped Kousa dogwood fruit.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious Kousa dogwood pudding cake!
Nutritional Facts Per Serving
2. Kousa Dogwood Berry Pancake Sause
Here’s a recipe for Kousa Dogwood Berry Pancake Sauce:
- 1 cup Kousa dogwood berries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Rinse the Kousa dogwood berries and remove any stems or leaves.
- In a small saucepan, combine the berries and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the berries simmer for 10-15 minutes until they have softened and released their juices.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the berry mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, pressing on the berries with a spoon to extract as much juice as possible.
- Return the strained juice to the saucepan and add the maple syrup.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and lemon juice in a small bowl until the cornstarch is fully dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and whisk everything together.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 1-2 minutes or until it has thickened to your liking.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the sauce cool slightly before serving over pancakes.
Enjoy your delicious Kousa Dogwood Berry Pancake Sauce!
3. Easy Homemade Jam
Here is an easy recipe for Kousa Dogwood Jam:
- 2 cups of Kousa Dogwood fruit, washed and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of water
- Mix the Kousa Dogwood fruit, sugar, lemon juice, and water in a large saucepan.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit breaks down and the mixture thickens. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
- Once the jam has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the jam until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Pour the jam into a jar and let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, store the jam in the refrigerator.
Enjoy your homemade Kousa Dogwood jam on toast, scones, or as a topping for yogurt or ice cream!
Health Benefits Of Kousa Dogwood Fruit
The fruit’s health benefits include antioxidants, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory properties. Kousa Dogwood fruits have high anthocyanins levels that may help fight kidney, bladder, breast, and liver cancers.
Furthermore, the fruit is rich in fiber and vitamin C, which can lower your heart disease risk. In addition to that, kousa dogwood may also help with alleviating allergies as well as reducing inflammation in your liver and kidneys.
In conclusion, I am completely impressed by the taste of this fruit. I highly recommend trying it for yourself! Please let me know if you have any questions about this fruit or about any other Kousa Dogwood products. You can also share your recent experience with the fruit in the comments below!
- Yard House Lobster Garlic Noodles Recipe - May 20, 2023
- Brenda Gantt Green Bean Casserole Recipe - May 19, 2023
- Alaska Roll Sushi Recipe: A Fusion Of Flavors - May 17, 2023