If you’re a fan of tangy, refreshing desserts, then you’re in for a treat with Kermit Key Lime Pie Recipe.
This delicious dessert combines the zesty flavor of key limes with a smooth and creamy filling, all nestled in a crisp graham cracker crust.
In this article, we’ll examine the history of Key Lime Pie, list the essential ingredients, and provide you a step-by-step recipe so you can make this delicious treat at home.
What Is Key Lime Pie?
Key Lime Pie is a classic dessert that originated in the Florida Keys. It is made using the juice of key limes, which are smaller and more aromatic than regular limes.
The pie is known for its vibrant green color and tangy-sweet flavor that strikes the perfect balance between tartness and sweetness.
The Origins Of Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie has a rich history that dates back to the late 19th century. It is believed to have been created by early settlers in the Florida Keys, who used the abundant key limes found in the region.
The pie quickly gained popularity and became a beloved dessert in the area. Today, it is considered a staple of Florida cuisine and a must-try for visitors.
Kermit Key Lime Pie Recipe
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Chilling Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
Key Ingredients For Kermit Key Lime Pie Recipe
To make an authentic Kermit Key Lime Pie Recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Key Lime Filling:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon key lime zest
Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar for the crust in a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Press the crust mixture into a 9-inch pie dish, making sure to evenly coat the bottom and sides.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, and key lime zest until smooth and well blended.
- Pour the filling into the cooled graham cracker crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 to 20 minutes until the filling is set but still slightly jiggly in the center.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Then, refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Once chilled, your Kermit Key Lime Pie is ready to be enjoyed!
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving):
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 37g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 28g
- Protein: 6g
Note: The approximate nutritional values may change depending on the particular materials utilized.
Tips For Making The Perfect Kermit Key Lime Pie
- Use freshly squeezed key lime juice for the best flavor.
- Zest the key limes before juicing them to capture their fragrant oils and enhance the citrus flavor of the pie.
- For a crisp and sturdy crust, make sure to firmly press the graham cracker mixture into the pie dish.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before refrigerating to ensure a firm and set filling.
- Garnish the pie with whipped cream and a sprinkle of lime zest for an extra touch of freshness.
- Serve the pie chilled for the best texture and flavor.
Variations Of Key Lime Pie
While the classic Kermit Key Lime Pie is a delightful dessert on its own, there are a few variations you can explore to add a unique twist:
- Coconut Key Lime Pie: Add shredded coconut to the graham cracker crust or sprinkle it on top of the pie for a tropical twist.
- Meringue Topped Key Lime Pie: Instead of a traditional crust, top the pie with a fluffy meringue made from egg whites and sugar.
- Key Lime Pie Bars: Transform the pie into bite-sized treats by creating bars with a graham cracker crust and a thin layer of key lime filling.
Serving And Presentation Suggestions
To enhance the presentation of your Kermit Key Lime Pie and make it even more enjoyable, consider the following serving suggestions:
- Cut the pie into individual slices and serve on dessert plates garnished with lime wedges.
- Serve the pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Sprinkle some crushed graham crackers or toasted coconut on top for added texture.
Health Benefits Of Key Lime Pie
While Key Lime Pie is undoubtedly an indulgent dessert, it does offer some health benefits:
- Rich In Vitamin C: Key limes are packed with Vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system.
- Antioxidant Properties: The key lime’s natural antioxidants can help protect the body against free radicals and reduce oxidative stress.
- Mood-Boosting Effects: The aroma and flavor of key lime can positively impact mood and overall well-being.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Can I Use Regular Limes Instead Of Key Limes?
While key limes are traditional for Key Lime Pie, you can substitute regular limes if key limes are not available. However, keep in mind that the flavor may be slightly different.
Can I Use A Store-Bought Graham Cracker Crust?
Sure, you can use a premade graham cracker crust if you’re pressed for time. Yet, a fresher and tastier pie will result from preparing your own crust from scratch.
How Long Can I Store The Pie In The Refrigerator?
You can store the Kermit Key Lime Pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
Can I Freeze The Pie For Later?
Yes, you can freeze the pie before adding any toppings. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, then place it in a freezer-safe container. Thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I Use A Different Type Of Crust For The Pie?
Absolutely, you can experiment with variations like Oreo cookie crust, shortbread crust, or even a nut-based crust if you like a different crust.
Indulge in the tangy and creamy delight of Kermit Key Lime Pie. This iconic dessert offers a burst of refreshing flavors, making it a perfect treat for any occasion.
Everyone will love this pie’s tangy key lime filling, which is encased in a flaky graham cracker crust, and will want for more.