Hawaii, with its stunning landscapes and diverse culture, offers a unique culinary experience.
Among the many delicious dishes, the Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup recipe stands out as a local favorite.
In this article, we will delve into the history of this iconic soup, explore the key ingredients, and provide you with a step-by-step guide to recreate this mouthwatering dish in the comfort of your own kitchen.
The History Of Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup
A Taste Of Tradition
Kapiolani Coffee Shop, nestled in the heart of Honolulu, has been serving this delightful oxtail soup for generations.
A Cultural Fusion
The soup’s origins can be traced back to the diverse culinary influences of Hawaii, combining Asian and Western flavors to create a unique taste that has become a staple on the island.
Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup Recipe
- Recipe Time: Approximately 4 hours
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Hawaiian
- Yield: 4 servings
- Calories: Approximately 400 calories per serving
- 2 pounds of oxtail, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 star anise pods
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions for garnish
Prepare The Oxtail:
- Ensure the oxtail is thoroughly cleaned and trimmed of excess fat.
- Season the oxtail with salt and pepper.
Sear The Oxtail:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Sear the oxtail on all sides until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the oxtail from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add minced garlic, sliced ginger, and star anise pods.
- Saute for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
Simmer To Perfection:
- Return the seared oxtail to the pot.
- Pour in 4 cups of water to cover the oxtail.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 3 hours until the oxtail is tender.
- Add the sliced carrots, celery, and diced potatoes to the pot.
- Continue simmering for an additional 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and infused with the broth’s flavors.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve And Enjoy:
- Ladle the Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup into bowls.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Serve hot and savor the taste of Hawaii.
The Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup recipe is more than just a dish; it’s a symbol of Hawaii’s rich culinary heritage. By following our guide, you can bring the flavors of this delightful soup into your own kitchen.
So, why wait? Try this Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup recipe today and savor the taste of Hawaii.