In the vibrant tapestry of culinary traditions across the globe, there are dishes that stand out not only for their taste but also for the stories they carry.
One such dish is ” Kadun Pika With Coconut Milk Recipe,” a tantalizing Southeast Asian delight.
We’ll take you on a gourmet tour of the delicious flavors of Kadun Pika with Coconut Milk recipe in this post and give you a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this delectable dish in the convenience of your own home.
What Is Kadun Pika?
Before we dive into the Kadun Pika With Coconut Milk Recipe, let’s unravel the mystery of Kadun Pika. This traditional Malay dish hails from the state of Kelantan, Malaysia.
It is a rich and aromatic chicken curry cooked with a unique blend of spices and, of course, the star ingredient, coconut milk. Kadun Pika is known for its perfect balance of heat, creaminess, and depth of flavor.
Kadun Pika With Coconut Milk Recipe
- Recipe Time: Approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Malaysian
- Yield: 4 servings
- Calories Per Serving: Approximately 400-450 calories per serving (varies based on portion size and ingredients used)
Ingredients You’ll Need
To embark on this culinary adventure, gather the following ingredients:
For The Marinade:
- 500g of chicken pieces (bone-in for added flavor)
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- Salt to taste
For The Kadun Pika:
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 red chilies, sliced
- 1 can (400ml) of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of tamarind paste
- Salt and sugar to taste
Step-By-Step Cooking Instructions
Now, let’s get cooking! Follow these steps to create a delectable Kadun Pika:
Step 1: Marinating The Chicken
- In a bowl, mix the chicken pieces with turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt.
- Ensure the chicken is well coated with the spices and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Preparing The Kadun Pika
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until it turns translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic, grated ginger, lemongrass stalks, kaffir lime leaves, and sliced red chilies.
- Cook until the mixture becomes fragrant and the onion turns golden brown.
Step 3: Cooking The Marinated Chicken
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook until it changes color and is partially cooked.
- Pour in the coconut milk and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Add the tamarind paste, salt, and sugar. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
Step 4: Simmering To Perfection
- Allow the Kadun Pika to simmer on low heat for about 20-30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the flavors meld together.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the coconut milk from curdling.
Step 5: Serve And Enjoy
- Once the Kadun Pika is ready, remove it from the heat.
- Serve this delightful dish with steamed rice, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy the explosion of flavors with every bite!
The Kadun Pika with Coconut Milk recipe is a culinary marvel that perfectly encapsulates Malaysian cooking.
For anybody looking to experience Southeast Asian sensations, this dish is a must-try due to its flavorful combination of spices, creamy coconut milk, and delicate chicken.
You may recreate the charm of Kadun Pika in your own kitchen and enjoy the delicacy by following our straightforward recipe.
Can I Use Boneless Chicken For Kadun Pika?
Yes, you can use boneless chicken if you prefer. However, bone-in chicken adds extra flavor to the dish.
Is Kadun Pika Very Spicy?
The spiciness of Kadun Pika can be adjusted to your liking by controlling the amount of red chilies you use.
What Can I Serve With Kadun Pika Besides Rice?
Kadun Pika pairs well with roti, naan, or even bread for a unique twist.
Can I Substitute Fresh Coconut Milk For Canned Coconut Milk?
Yes, you can use fresh coconut milk if it’s available. It may enhance the flavor even more.
How Long Can I Store Leftover Kadun Pika?
Leftover Kadun Pika can be refrigerated for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container. Reheat it gently on the stove or in the microwave before serving.