If you’re a fan of barbecue, then you’ve probably come across Jack Stack Barbecue at some point.
Known for its delicious smoked meats and flavorful side dishes, Jack Stack is a favorite among barbecue enthusiasts. One dish that stands out is their famous coleslaw.
The Jack Stack coleslaw recipe will be discussed in more detail in this article, along with a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this delectable side dish at home.
Jack Stack Coleslaw Recipe
- Preparation Time: Approximately 15 minutes
- Chilling Time: At least 1 hour
- Yield: This recipe yields approximately 6 servings.
To prepare Jack Stack coleslaw recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 medium head of green cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preparing the vegetables. Remove any wilted or damaged outer leaves from the cabbage, then rinse it under cold water. Cut the cabbage in half and remove the core. Finely shred the cabbage using a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer.
- Peel the carrots and grate them using a box grater or a food processor with a grating attachment. You can also julienne them for a slightly different texture.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded cabbage and grated carrots.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, celery seed, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Make sure the sugar is fully dissolved and the dressing is well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and carrot mixture. Toss well to coat the vegetables evenly with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and the cabbage to soften slightly.
- Once chilled, give the coleslaw a final toss to redistribute the dressing. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the Jack Stack coleslaw as a side dish with your favorite barbecue meats or sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
The following nutrition facts are approximate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients used:
- Calories: 230
- Total Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 220mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 11g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 1g
Tips For Serving
- For an extra crunch, you can add a handful of chopped toasted pecans or slivered almonds to the coleslaw just before serving.
- If you prefer a spicier coleslaw, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a few dashes of hot sauce to the dressing.
- Jack Stack coleslaw pairs well with pulled pork sandwiches, smoked brisket, or grilled chicken.
Variations Of Jack Stack Coleslaw
While the classic Jack Stack coleslaw recipe is delicious on its own, you can also experiment with some variations to suit your taste:
- Creamy Jalapeno Coleslaw: Add diced jalapenos or pickled jalapeno slices for a spicy kick.
- Asian-Inspired Coleslaw: Replace the Dijon mustard and celery seed with soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar for an Asian twist.
- Pineapple Coleslaw: Mix in some crushed pineapple for a tropical flavor and a touch of sweetness.
The Jack Stack coleslaw recipe offers a delightful combination of flavors and textures that will elevate any barbecue meal. Its creamy dressing and crisp vegetables make it the perfect side dish to complement smoky meats and savory sandwiches.
This dish won’t let you down whether you’re throwing a backyard barbecue or just have a hankering for some delectable coleslaw.