When it comes to delightful treats that are perfect for any occasion, Italian prune cookies take center stage.
These delectable cookies are a cherished part of Italian dessert traditions, known for their soft texture, subtle sweetness, and irresistible flavor.
In this article, we’ll delve into the art of making an Italian prune cookie recipe from scratch. From gathering the ingredients to savoring the final product, let’s embark on a journey of baking magic.
Italian Prune Cookie Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian
- Yield: Approximately 24 cookies
- Calories: 120
- 1 cup fresh prunes, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Begin by preparing the prunes. Remove the pits and chop the prunes into small pieces.
- In a small saucepan, place the chopped prunes and cover them with water. Simmer over low heat until the prunes are soft and tender. This should take about 10-15 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat and allow them to cool.
- Mash the cooked prunes with a fork or blend them until you achieve a smooth, jam-like consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then, add the vanilla extract and lemon zest, mixing until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing until a dough forms. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Take a portion of the cookie dough and flatten it in your hand. Place a teaspoon of the prepared prune filling in the center of the dough.
- Fold the dough over the filling, sealing the edges well. Shape the dough into a round or oval cookie shape.
- Place the filled cookies onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies turn golden brown around the edges.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Serving And Enjoying
Serve these Italian prune cookies as a delightful dessert alongside a cup of coffee, tea, or even a glass of dessert wine. These cookies are perfect for sharing with friends and family on various occasions.
Storing Your Italian Prune Cookies
Store your cookies at room temperature in an airtight container to keep them nice and fresh. Since they can last for several days, you can gradually savor the exquisite flavors.
Sharing The Love: Gifting Homemade Prune Cookies
By giving your homemade Italian prune cookies to friends and family, you can spread happiness. Whether it’s a birthday, a holiday, or just a show of thanks, these goodies make thoughtful and delectable gifts for any occasion.
Italian prune cookie recipe are a standout example of dessert-making skill in the world of baking. They provide a lovely experience for the palette and the senses with their perfect balance of flavors and textures.
You may participate in a custom that has delighted countless generations whether you are an expert baker or a kitchen novice by making these cookies.