Elderberries are a traditional folk remedy for colds and flu. They have been shown to have antiviral and immune-boosting properties. Cough drops made with elderberries can help to soothe a sore throat and relieve coughing.
This elderberry cough drops recipe is for homemade elderberry cough drops that are easy to make and can be customized to your liking. You can add other herbs or spices, such as ginger, cinnamon, or cloves.
Elderberry Cough Drops Recipe
- Recipe Time: 15 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: About 20 cough drops
- Calories: 10 calories per serving
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons elderberry syrup or extract
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour the mixture into candy molds or a small baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Let the cough drops set in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Store the cough drops in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- If you don’t have candy molds, you can use a small cookie cutter to cut the cough drops into shapes.
- You can also add other herbs or spices to the cough drops, such as peppermint, lavender, or chamomile.
- If you want to make the cough drops extra chewy, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the mixture.
Health Benefits Of Elderberries
Elderberries have a lengthy history of use as a homeopathic treatment for many medical issues. They have been proven to have antiviral, antibacterial, and immune-boosting qualities and are high in antioxidants.
Some of the health benefits of elderberries include:
- Reducing the severity and duration of colds and flu
- Boosting the immune system
- Fighting infections
- Relieving coughs and sore throats
- Reducing inflammation
- Improving heart health
- Protecting against cancer
How To Use Elderberries
Elderberries can be consumed in a variety of ways, including:
- Eating the fresh berries (but only if they are cooked first)
- Drinking elderberry syrup or extract
- Taking elderberry capsules
- Making elderberry cough drops
If you are considering using elderberries for health reasons, it is important to talk to your doctor first. Elderberries can interact with certain medications, so it is important to be aware of any potential risks.
Coughs and sore throats can be treated naturally and effectively with a recipe for elderberry cough drops. These can be tailored to your preferences and are simple to make.
If you’re seeking for a natural way to strengthen your immune system and fend against infection, elderberry cough drops recipe is a fantastic choice.