If you’ve ever dined at Cracker Barrel, you’ve probably fallen in love with their delectable turnip greens.
These southern-style greens are the perfect combination of savory and tangy flavors, cooked to perfection.
If you’re a fan of this classic dish and want to recreate it at home, you’re in luck!
In this article, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on Cracker Barrel turnip greens recipe in your own kitchen. Get ready to indulge in a comforting and delicious soul food experience.
Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens Recipe
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Yield: This recipe yields approximately 6 servings.
To make the Cracker Barrel turnip greens recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of fresh turnip greens
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by thoroughly washing the turnip greens under cold water to remove any dirt or debris. Remove the stems and chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Set them aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and set it aside, leaving the bacon grease in the pot.
- Add the diced onion to the pot with the bacon grease and sauté until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the turnip greens to the pot, along with the chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the greens simmer for approximately 1 hour, or until they are tender and flavorful. Stir occasionally during the cooking process.
- Once the greens are cooked to your desired tenderness, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. If you prefer a tangier flavor, you can add more apple cider vinegar.
- Serve the Cracker Barrel turnip greens recipe hot, garnished with the crispy bacon on top. These greens pair well with cornbread or biscuits for a complete Southern meal.
Tips For Success
- Make sure to thoroughly wash the turnip greens to remove any grit or sand.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your personal taste preferences.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Leftover turnip greens can be refrigerated and enjoyed within a few days.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Calories: 120
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 450mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 10g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 6g
While the classic Cracker Barrel turnip greens recipe is delicious on its own, you can also add your own twist to this dish. Here are a few variations to consider:
- Smoky Turnip Greens: Add smoked ham hocks or smoked turkey legs for a smoky flavor.
- Spicy Turnip Greens: Add a dash of hot sauce or red pepper flakes to give the greens a kick.
- Creamy Turnip Greens: Stir in some heavy cream or coconut milk for a creamy texture.
Health Benefits Of Turnip Greens
Turnip greens are not only flavorful but also packed with nutritional benefits. They are an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as folate and calcium.
Consuming turnip greens can support healthy digestion, boost the immune system, and promote bone health. Additionally, they are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great addition to a balanced diet.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I Use Frozen Turnip Greens Instead Of Fresh Ones?
Yes, frozen turnip greens can be used as a substitute. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor may be slightly different.
Can I Use Other Types Of Greens For This Recipe?
While turnip greens are traditionally used in this recipe, you can experiment with other leafy greens such as collard greens or kale.
Can I Make This Dish In A Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for a slow cooker. Simply follow the same steps but cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Are Turnip Greens Spicy?
Turnip greens have a slightly bitter taste but are not inherently spicy. You can add spices or hot sauce if you prefer a spicier flavor.
Can I Freeze The Leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftover turnip greens in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat them when ready to enjoy.
The Cracker Barrel turnip greens recipe are a beloved Southern dish known for their rich flavor and hearty texture. With this recipe, you can recreate the same delicious greens in your own kitchen.
Follow the simple steps, adjust the seasoning to your liking, and savor the taste of the South. Enjoy this soulful side dish with your favorite main course and experience a true Southern culinary delight.