Chili Potato Soup is a hearty and flavorful dish that’s perfect for chilly evenings and family gatherings.
This delicious Chilis Potato Soup recipe combines the creaminess of potatoes with the robust flavors of chili, creating a delightful culinary experience.
We’ll walk you through a step-by-step tutorial on making this delicious Chili Potato Soup recipe in the convenience of your own home in this article.
Chilis Potato Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: Serves 6
- Calories Per Serving: Approximately 350 calories per serving.
To make Chilis Potato Soup recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for extra heat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, and sour cream (for garnish)
Preparing The Potatoes
Wash and peel the russet potatoes. Cut them into small cubes and set aside.
Making The Soup Base
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the diced red and green bell peppers and the chopped jalapeno pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the peppers are softened.
- Next, add the ground beef to the pot. Cook until the meat is browned and fully cooked.
- Pour in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Season the soup with chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, dried oregano, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasonings according to your taste preferences.
Combining The Ingredients
- Once the soup base is ready, add the cubed potatoes to the pot. Stir to coat the potatoes with the flavorful broth.
- Allow the soup to simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and fully cooked.
- The flavors will meld together during this time, creating a rich and aromatic soup.
Cooking The Chili Potato Soup
- After the potatoes are cooked, reduce the heat to low, and pour in the heavy cream. Stir the cream into the soup, adding a smooth and creamy texture.
- Let the soup simmer for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the cream to infuse with the other ingredients.
Serving And Garnishing
- Ladle the hot Chili Potato Soup into individual serving bowls.
- Garnish each bowl with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, and a dollop of sour cream.
- The creamy and flavorful Chili Potato Soup is now ready to be savored!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Total Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 800mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Total Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 18g
- Vitamin D: 5mcg
- Calcium: 200mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Potassium: 600mg
Tips For Variations
- For a vegetarian version, omit ground beef and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Add in some black beans or kidney beans for an extra dose of protein and fiber.
- Experiment with different types of peppers to adjust the level of spiciness according to your taste.
Chili Potato Soup is not only a delicious treat for the taste buds but also offers some health benefits:
- Potatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including potassium and vitamin C.
- Bell peppers are rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C and beta-carotene.
- The soup’s combination of ingredients provides a good balance of protein and carbohydrates.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I Make This Soup Ahead Of Time And Reheat It Later?
Yes, you can make the Chili Potato Soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Can I Substitute Regular Potatoes With Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, if you prefer a slightly sweeter flavor, you can use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes in this recipe.
Is This Soup Suitable For Vegetarians?
Absolutely! Simply omit the ground beef and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make it vegetarian-friendly.
How Long Can I Store The Leftover Soup In The Refrigerator?
You can store the leftover Chili Potato Soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze The Chili Potato Soup?
Yes, you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. To reheat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and warm it on the stovetop.
Chili Potato Soup is a delightful comfort food that brings warmth and satisfaction with every spoonful. It is a favorite among soup fans due to its creamy texture, robust chili taste, and substantial potatoes.
This soup will leave you wanting more whether you eat it as a meal on its own or as a beginning before a filling dinner.
Hence, gather your supplies, follow the easy instructions, and enjoy the flavorful homemade chilis potato soup recipe!