In this article, we will delve into the mouthwatering world of Chicos Tacos, a unique and delightful twist to traditional tacos.
This Chicos Tacos recipe is simple to follow and is guaranteed to impress your family and friends with its explosion of flavors, regardless of your level of culinary experience.
Now let’s start this culinary journey and discover how to prepare Chicos Tacos in the convenience of your own house.
What Are Chicos Tacos?
Chicos Tacos are a delectable Mexican dish that originated in El Paso, Texas. Unlike traditional tacos, Chicos Tacos are not your typical soft or crunchy shells filled with seasoned meat.
Instead, they feature rolled-up, deep-fried corn tortillas, generously filled with a savory meat mixture, and served with a special sauce that elevates their flavors to new heights.
Chicos Tacos Recipe
- Recipe Time: Approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
- Yield: Serves 4-6 people
- Calories: Approximately 350-400 calories per serving
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef or chicken
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup (240ml) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil for frying
- 1 cup (240ml) shredded lettuce
- 1 cup (120g) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (15g) fresh cilantro, chopped
Signature Chicos Sauce:
- 1/2 cup (120ml) tomato sauce
- Pinch of cumin powder
- Pinch of chili powder
Preparing The Chicos Meat Filling
- In a skillet over medium heat, add a splash of cooking oil and sauté the finely chopped onions until they turn translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and continue sautéing for another minute until aromatic.
- Incorporate the ground beef or chicken into the skillet, breaking it into small pieces with a spatula. Cook until the meat is browned and cooked through.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, cumin powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Set the meat filling aside.
Creating The Signature Chicos Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine half a cup of tomato sauce with a pinch of cumin powder and chili powder. Warm the mixture over low heat.
- Once warmed, remove it from the heat and let it cool. This flavorful sauce will be drizzled over your Chicos Tacos later.
Assembling Your Chicos Tacos
- Take a corn tortilla and spoon a generous amount of the prepared meat filling onto one end.
- Roll up the tortilla tightly to enclose the filling, creating a neat taquito-like shape.
- Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas and meat filling.
Frying To Perfection
- In a deep skillet or pot, heat cooking oil to 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place the rolled-up tacos into the hot oil, seam-side down, and fry until golden and crispy, usually about 3-4 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the Chicos Tacos from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
Serving And Garnishing
Arrange your freshly fried Chicos Tacos on a serving platter and get ready to add the finishing touches.
- Drizzle the signature Chicos sauce over the Chicos Tacos, adding an extra layer of flavor.
- Top each taco with shredded lettuce, grated cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro for a burst of color and taste.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Total Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 20g
Tips For The Perfect Chicos Tacos Recipe
- Make sure to roll the tortillas tightly to prevent the filling from spilling out during frying.
- Adjust the spiciness to your liking by adding more or less chili powder.
- If you prefer a healthier alternative, you can bake the rolled-up tacos in the oven until crispy.
Congratulations! You have successfully embarked on a culinary journey and learned how to make delicious Chicos Tacos recipe.
This delightful dish combines the crunch of deep-fried corn tortillas with a savory meat filling and a burst of flavors from the special sauce and garnishes. Whether it’s a family reunion or a laid-back evening with friends, Chicos Tacos recipe will be a hit.