Indulge in the timeless charm of Brenda Gantt Cornbread recipe that brings warmth and comfort to any meal.
This easy-to-follow recipe yields moist, golden cornbread with a slightly sweet flavor. Learn about the background, ingredients, detailed instructions, and useful hints for perfecting this traditional dish.
Serve it alongside soups or stews, or savor it on its own. Get ready to experience the irresistible taste of Brenda Gantt Cornbread.
Brenda Gantt Cornbread Recipe
Ingredients for Brenda Gantt Cornbread Recipe
To make Brenda Gantt Cornbread, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
Mixing The Dry Ingredients
In a sizable mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. The dry components should be thoroughly mixed.
Preparing The Wet Ingredients
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly with a fork or whisk. Add the buttermilk and vegetable oil to the beaten eggs and mix well.
Combining The Wet And Dry Ingredients
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir gently until just combined. Do not overmix; a few lumps are okay.
Preparing The Baking Pan
Turn on the oven to 425 °F (220 °C). Butter or cooking spray should be used to grease a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or baking pan. For a few minutes, place the greased pan in the preheated oven to heat up.
Baking The Cornbread
Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet, spreading it evenly. When the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the skillet comes out clean, place the skillet back in the oven for another 20 to 25 minutes of baking.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
The following nutrition facts are approximate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients used.
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 410mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 5g
Please note that these nutrition facts are estimates and can vary based on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients used. It’s always a good idea to check the packaging of the ingredients you use and adjust the nutrition facts accordingly.
Tips For Perfecting Brenda Gantt Cornbread
To achieve the best results with Brenda Gantt Cornbread, consider the following tips:
- Use High-Quality Cornmeal: The quality of the cornmeal you use will directly affect the flavor and texture of the cornbread. Opt for stone-ground cornmeal for the best results.
- Add Buttermilk For Moisture: Buttermilk adds a tangy flavor and moistness to the cornbread. In the absence of buttermilk, you can manufacture a replacement by mixing one cup of milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar and letting it settle for a few minutes.
- Adjust Baking Time And Temperature: Ovens can vary, so keep an eye on your cornbread as it bakes. Adjust the temperature accordingly if you notice it browning too quickly or not browning enough.
Variations And Additions To Brenda Gantt Cornbread
While Brenda Gantt’s Cornbread recipe is delicious on its own, you can get creative and experiment with different variations and additions, such as:
- Adding Cheese Or Jalapeños: For an extra kick of flavor, consider mixing in shredded cheddar cheese or diced jalapeños to the batter before baking.
- Making Sweet Cornbread: If you prefer sweeter cornbread, increase the sugar in the recipe or add a drizzle of honey before serving.
Serving And Enjoying Brenda Gantt Cornbread
Brenda Gantt Cornbread is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in various ways:
- Pairing With Soups And Stews: Serve warm slices of cornbread alongside your favorite soups or stews for a comforting and satisfying meal.
- Using Leftovers Creatively: If you have any leftovers, repurpose them by crumbling the cornbread into a salad for added crunch or using it as a base for delicious stuffing.
Brenda Gantt Cornbread is a classic Southern recipe that brings warmth and comfort to any meal. With its simple yet delicious combination of ingredients and easy preparation, it’s a dish that everyone can enjoy.
Whether you follow Brenda Gantt’s recipe exactly or add your personal touch, this cornbread will surely be a hit.