Cornbread is a staple in many households, and it’s no wonder why. It’s easy to make, versatile, and delicious! But have you ever tried adding beets to your cornbread recipe?
The addition of beets not only adds beautiful color to the cornbread but also a unique and delicious flavor.
Beet Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated beets (about 2 medium beets)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the grated beets.
- Whisk together the milk, oil, and egg in a separate mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter, honey, or your favorite topping.
This beet cornbread recipe is a great way to add some color and flavor to your traditional cornbread. The beets add a subtle sweetness and earthy flavor that pairs perfectly with the slightly sweet and crumbly cornbread.
This recipe can also be adapted to be gluten-free or vegan by using gluten-free flour or flax egg instead of a regular egg.
You can also add chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or parsley to the batter to give it an extra flavor.
Try this Beet cornbread recipe, and it will become a family favorite! It’s perfect for a side dish to any meal or as a snack with a spread of butter or honey. Give it a try, and let us know how you like it!