In this article, we delve into the culinary world of the legendary soul singer, Aretha Franklin, and explore her love for ham and a delightful Aretha Franklin Ham Recipe she was known for.
Not only did Aretha touch the hearts of millions through her music, but she also left an indelible mark in the world of cooking with her exceptional ham recipe.
Let’s uncover the story behind Aretha Franklin’s culinary passion and the delicious ham recipe that continues to bring joy to food enthusiasts worldwide.
Who Was Aretha Franklin?
Before we dive into her culinary prowess, let’s briefly introduce the iconic Aretha Franklin. Often hailed as the “Queen of Soul,” Aretha Franklin was a highly influential American singer and songwriter who graced the world with her mesmerizing voice and soul-stirring performances.
Her illustrious career spanned several decades, earning her numerous accolades and a place in the hearts of music lovers everywhere.
The Love For Ham
Ham has been a beloved dish across cultures for centuries. Its succulent flavor and versatility make it a favorite choice for celebrations and gatherings.
From Thanksgiving feasts to Easter dinners, ham holds a special place on the table, symbolizing warmth, love, and togetherness.
Aretha Franklin’s Connection With Ham
Beyond her musical achievements, Aretha Franklin had a profound connection with cooking and cherished preparing meals for her loved ones. Her interest in cooking, especially her love for ham, became widely known among her family and friends.
Aretha Franklin Ham Recipe
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: Approximately 3 hours (varies based on ham size)
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: American, Soul Food
- Yield: 10 servings
Aretha Franklin ham recipe was no ordinary dish; it was infused with her soulful spirit and passion for good food. Here’s how you can recreate the magic of her famous ham in your kitchen:
- 1 fully-cooked, bone-in ham (8-10 pounds)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Whole cloves
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Score the ham’s surface in a diamond pattern and stud it with whole cloves.
- Mix brown sugar, pineapple juice, and Dijon mustard in a bowl.
- Glaze the ham generously with this mixture.
- Cover the ham with foil and place it in a baking dish.
- Bake the ham for about 15-20 minutes per pound, basting it with the glaze every 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil during the last 30 minutes of baking to let the ham caramelize.
Calories And Nutrition Facts (Per Serving):
- Calories: Approximately 350 kcal
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Sodium: 1100mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 20g
- Sugars: 20g
- Protein: 35g
- Calcium: 20mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 540mg
Tips For Perfecting The Dish
To ensure your rendition of Aretha Franklin’s ham is nothing short of perfect, consider the following tips:
- Use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor.
- Adjust the sweetness of the glaze according to your preference.
- Let the ham rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Serving And Pairings
Aretha’s ham pairs wonderfully with a variety of side dishes. Serve it with mashed potatoes, green beans, or a fresh salad for a balanced and delightful meal. Don’t forget to share this experience with your loved ones, just as Aretha loved to do.
Aretha Franklin’s love for cooking, especially her renowned ham recipe, adds a flavorful dimension to her already impressive legacy. The recipe’s simple yet soulful essence reflects the genuine warmth and love that Aretha poured into all aspects of her life.
By recreating her ham recipe and savoring it with our loved ones, we honor the Queen of Soul’s memory and her passion for good food and company.