Are you craving a delectable Italian pastry? Look no further! In this article, we will explore the tantalizing world of Anna Olson Sfogliatelle recipe.
Sfogliatelle are Italian pastries that feature a flaky and layered exterior with a rich, sweet filling. They have a distinctive seashell shape and are often referred to as lobster tails due to their resemblance to the crustacean.
Sfogliatelle is a beloved treat in Italy and has gained popularity worldwide due to its unique texture and delicious taste.
Join us as we dive into the art of making these mouthwatering treats.
Anna Olson Sfogliatelle Recipe
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Baking Time: 25-30 minutes
- Yield: 12 sfogliatelle
Ingredients You’ll Need
For The Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For The Filling:
- 1/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparing The Dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Gradually add water while mixing until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a thin sheet using a rolling pin.
- Spread a layer of softened butter over the dough and fold it in half.
- Repeat the folding process multiple times to create layers.
- Brush the dough with vegetable oil and let it rest in the refrigerator.
Creating The Filling
- In a saucepan, combine semolina flour, milk, and sugar.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat until it thickens.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix ricotta cheese, candied orange peel, and vanilla extract.
- Add the cooled semolina mixture to the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Stir until well combined, creating a smooth and creamy filling.
Assembling The Sfogliatelle
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it into a thin sheet.
- Cut the sheet into rectangular pieces of the desired size.
- Place a spoonful of the filling on one end of each rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle over the filling, creating a triangular shape.
- Starting from the wider end, roll the dough towards the tip.
- Press the tip gently to seal the sfogliatelle.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough and filling.
Baking To Perfection
- Preheat your oven to the recommended temperature.
- Place the prepared sfogliatelle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the pastries with a beaten egg for a golden, shiny crust.
- Bake the sfogliatelle until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
Serving And Storing Tips
Serve the freshly baked sfogliatelle as a delightful treat with a dusting of powdered sugar. They go well with a cup of coffee or tea and are finest when eaten warm.
If you have any leftovers, you may keep them at room temperature for up to two days in an airtight container. To warm them and bring back their crispness, put them in a hot oven for a few minutes.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (1 Sfogliatelle):
- Calories: 230
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 90mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 26g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 10g
- Protein: 5g
Variations And Customizations
While Anna Olson sfogliatelle recipe is a classic rendition of sfogliatelle, you can also experiment with different fillings. Consider adding chocolate, almond paste, or even a fruit compote to create unique flavor profiles.
Additionally, you can drizzle the baked pastries with a glaze made from powdered sugar and lemon juice for an extra touch of sweetness.
Anna Olson sfogliatelle recipe allows you to bring the flavors of Italy into your kitchen. With their flaky layers and creamy filling, these pastries are a true delight for any occasion.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a novice in the kitchen, trying your hand at sfogliatelle will surely impress your family and friends.
So roll up your sleeves, follow the steps outlined above, and indulge in the heavenly taste of homemade sfogliatelle!