Carrot cake is a classic dessert that is loved by many. It’s the ideal dessert for any occasion thanks to its rich, dense texture and savory, spicy flavor.
One of the most famous carrot cake recipes is by the renowned Malaysian chef, Amy Beh.
In this article, we will share with you her famous Amy Beh carrot cake recipe, which is easy to follow and will result in a deliciously moist and flavorful cake.
Amy Beh Carrot Cake Recipe
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Baking Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield: This recipe makes a 9-inch round cake, which can be sliced into 12 servings.
- 250g grated carrots
- 180g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 200g granulated sugar
- 200ml vegetable oil
- Mixing bowls
- Cake pan
Preparing The Carrots
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from the grated carrots using a cheesecloth or a kitchen towel.
Mixing The Batter
- Mix the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground nutmeg, and ground cinnamon in a mixing dish.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the vegetable oil to the egg mixture while whisking continuously.
- Add the grated carrots and vanilla extract to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Gradually fold in the dry ingredients until fully combined.
Baking The Cake
- Pour the batter into a greased cake pan.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, in the preheated oven.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)
- Calories: 410
- Total Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 360mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 51g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 36g
- Protein: 4g
Tips For Perfect Carrot Cake
- Use fresh carrots that are sweet and juicy for a more flavorful cake.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from the grated carrots to prevent the cake from becoming soggy.
- Do not overmix the batter as it can result in a tough and dry cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
Carrot Cake Recipe/ Moist and Soft Carrot Cake by Zaisha’s kitchen
Variations And Substitutions
- For a healthier option, you can substitute some of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or almond flour.
- You can add raisins, chopped nuts, or shredded coconut to the batter for extra texture and flavor.
- Instead of using vegetable oil, you can use coconut oil, melted butter, or applesauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use A Food Processor To Grate The Carrots?
Yes, you can grate the carrots in a food processor, but take care not to overdo it.
Can I Use Brown Sugar Instead Of Granulated Sugar?
Sure, you can use brown sugar, but the cake will be thicker and darker as a result.
How Long Does The Carrot Cake Last?
The carrot cake can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week or at room temperature for up to three days when kept in an airtight container. You can also freeze the cake for up to 3 months.
Can I Use Cream Cheese Frosting For This Carrot Cake?
Yes, cream cheese frosting is a classic pairing with carrot cake. You can use Amy Beh’s cream cheese frosting recipe or your own favorite recipe.
Can I Make This Recipe Gluten-Free?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by omitting the all-purpose flour and substituting gluten-free flour. Use baking soda and powder only if they are free of gluten.
Amy Beh’s carrot cake recipe is a simple and delicious way to make a classic dessert that everyone will love. You can bake a rich, flavorful carrot cake that is suitable for any occasion by following this simple recipe.
This recipe is likely to impress whether you’re a seasoned baker or just getting started. You won’t be sorry if you give it a try, so go ahead!