Ampalaya, also known as bitter gourd, is a tropical vegetable that has a bitter taste but is packed with nutrients.
It’s a staple in Asian cooking and has a long list of health advantages.
One way to enjoy this vegetable is by turning it into a sweet dessert, and one of the best ways to do that is by making an Ampalaya ice cream recipe.
We’ll provide you with an easy-to-follow recipe for this delectable and wholesome dessert in this post.
Ampalaya Ice Cream Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes Freezing time: 6-8 hours Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups of chopped Ampalaya (bitter gourd)
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Blender or food processor
- Ice cream maker
- Wash and cut the Ampalaya into small pieces.
- Boil the chopped Ampalaya in water for 3-5 minutes until it becomes tender.
- Drain the water and let the Ampalaya cool for a few minutes.
- Blend the Ampalaya in a blender or food processor until it becomes a smooth puree.
- Add the heavy cream, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt to the Ampalaya puree and mix well.
Steps To Make Ampalaya Ice Cream
- Pour The Ampalaya Mixture Into An Ice Cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to churn the ice cream.
- Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze for at least 4 hours or until it becomes firm.
- Scoop the Ampalaya ice cream and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (1/2 Cup):
- Calories: 344
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Sodium: 119mg
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 31g
- Protein: 3g
Note: Vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, and potassium are abundant in ampalaya. Yet this recipe’s inclusion of heavy cream and sugar could raise its calorie and fat levels.
Pinas Sarap: Ampalaya ice cream for dessert?
Tips For Making The Best Ampalaya Ice Cream
- Use fresh and ripe Ampalaya for better taste and texture.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste preferences.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make this recipe by pouring the Ampalaya mixture into a shallow dish and freezing it for 1-2 hours. Then, scrape the mixture with a fork to create a granita-like texture.
- You can also add toppings to your Ampalaya ice cream such as chocolate chips, nuts, or fruits.
Health Benefits Of Ampalaya
Ampalaya is a very healthy vegetable that is loaded with nutrients including vitamin C, potassium, and iron. It’s also known for its health benefits such as:
- Lowering Blood Sugar Levels: Ampalaya contains compounds that can help regulate blood sugar levels, making it a good food for people with diabetes.
- Boosting Immune System: The high vitamin C content in Ampalaya can help strengthen the immune system and prevent illnesses.
- Improving Digestion: Ampalaya contains fiber that can aid in digestion and prevent constipation.
Ampalaya ice cream is a delicious and nutritious dessert that you can easily make at home. It’s a great way to enjoy the health benefits of Ampalaya while satisfying your sweet cravings.
Follow the recipe and tips we’ve shared in this article to make the best Ampalaya ice cream. Your taste buds and body will thank you.